Without a doubt, food is going to be one of the most expensive aspects of your wedding budget, with rates ranging from $30-$100+ per person, your wedding meal can quickly add up to some astronomical costs! But, the good news is if you are willing to get creative with your meal, there are cheaper ways to feed everyone and keep them happy!
1. Potluck – Now before you scoff at the idea of asking family and friends to bring a dish to YOUR wedding, you need to remember that they love you, they want you to succeed and they want to help you out on your big day! Bringing a dish will be a nice gesture that they can do for you, and it can help you alleviate some of the financial burden of putting on the wedding!
Photo Credit: TheKnot
2. Backyard BBQ – I don’t know about you, but I love BBQ and the thought of having a good old fashioned BBQ for a wedding reception sounds like a darn good idea to me, not to mention, MUCH cheaper than a formal sit down dinner. Grab some little ketchup bottles and some BBQ grub from Costco and you’ve got yourself a fun, low key wedding reception!
Photo Credit: USChiandKay
3. Candy/Dessert Bar – Have you ever thought about skipping the meal altogether? If you time your wedding right, you could pull off having just a little candy or dessert bar at your wedding. Drinks and Candy? Alcohol and Sugar? Sounds like a party to me!
Photo Credit: Colin Cowie Weddings
4. Appetizer Only – Think of this like a Happy Hour Wedding. Serving your guests a bevy of appetizers might replace the meal altogether and it will certainly reduce the out of pocket food expense!
Photo Credit: Spokane Bride Blog
5. Do-It-Yourself – Ok, so you are going to have to be crazy to do this option, but if you are crazy about saving money..this is your best bet! You can do all the food preparation and cooking yourself (and a few helpful friends). You’ll want to scour the web for wedding menu plans, shop at your local warehouse store and clear yourself some space on the countertop…because girlfriend, you are in for some cooking!
What ways did you save on your wedding food? Leave us a comment!