It’s a new year and one of your resolutions may be to go Gluten Free in 2014! If so, you are not alone, thousands of people go gluten-free everyday as a means to lose weight and enhance mental capacity. But don’t get me wrong, going Gluten Free is a big change in your diet, especially if you love bread and pasta! But don’t despair, because I’ve got 5 tips to going gluten-free in 2014!
1. Start with naturally gluten-free food – This sounds simple, but if you start off with a batch of gluten free cookies, breads and crackers you may have a harder time going gluten free. What you’ll want to do, at least in the beginning, is start by eating only naturally gluten free foods like meats, veggies and fruits. You can use the gluten-free food search site, Please Be Gluten Free to see which foods are gluten free!
2. Learn how to cook gluten free meals – There are literally a ton of great gluten free cookbooks out there, here are some of my favorites. By learning how to cook healthly gluten-free meals, you’ll feel less daunted when it comes to meal planning and cooking dinner. Bonus Tip: Prepare a batch of Gluten Free Freezer meals ahead of time
3. Introduce Gluten-Free alternatives next – Once you have a balanced meal using the naturally gluten free foods, then you can introduce your favorite snack type items in their gluten free varieties. Cookies, cereals, breads and even muffins come in gluten free recipes!
4. Explore new foods – Before going gluten-free you may have not heard of grains such as quinoa, amaranth, or millet. But now that you are trying to eliminate gluten from your diet, you will want to explore the different kinds of grains and gluten free alternatives to enhance your diet.
5. Measure your progress – Whether you are eliminating gluten to lose weight or to regain mental focus, journalling your gluten free adventures can be helpful. End each day by writing down how you feel, what your weight is and document if you had any gluten. This will help you keep going when you feel weak.
P.S. Vitacost offers a wide variety of Gluten Free foods and offers a $10 New Member Credit if you sign up here!