If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and Pin it on Pinterest!
When I originally saw this Baked Spaghetti recipe, I literally couldn’t get it out of my mind. One of my favorite guilty pleasure foods when I was in college used to be a calzone filled with spaghetti…so this was pretty close!
Now let me preface this by saying, I am in no way a ‘good cook’. I tend to leave the gourmet meals up to my husband, but this recipe was soo easy, that I attempted to do it on my own…and I succeeded! So don’t worry if you aren’t a great cook, this recipe is almost foolproof ;)
1. You’ll want to start with the bread. You can either make homemade bread or use frozen bread dough. Because it was late in the afternoon, I decided to make my own bread instead of thaw out a frozen bread dough.
I used the recipe found on this blog and had fresh homemade dough ready to go in one hour.
2. While the bread dough is rising, you can use this time to brown your meat (I used hamburg) and cook your pasta. I mixed the pasta, meat and spaghetti sauce and left it in a bowl until the dough had risen (1 hour).
3. Once the dough had risen for an hour, I punched it down and took it out of the bowl. I then used a rolling pin to roll out the dough in a rectanglular shape.
4. Once the dough was rolled out, I put the spaghetti, meat and sauce mixture + cheese down the middle of the bread dough and then proceeded to cut strips approx 1 inch apart.
5. Once all the strips were cut, I braided the strips, right over left, right over left, until the entire bread had been braided.
6. Once the bread was braided I used a egg white wash and parmesan herb spices to give it some additional flavor.
7. Put it in the oven at 350 Degrees for 30-35 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes to settle and then slice to serve.
Tip: Save some pasta sauce for dipping, because the bread tends to soak up the sauce that you put inside of it!